Tuesday, December 11, 2007

More postal fun

I had my second trip to the post office in as many days. Wow. If this business actually had to operate with real competition (and no I do not consider UPS or FedEx to be real competition - they cannot compete with a 41 cent stamp) I don't know how they would survive.

I trekked back there today with my checkbook (see previous post for reasons why) to get Christmas stamps for the obligatory Christmas cards. I waited in line for about 15 minutes which I had planned for (it is the Holiday season after all). There was just one person behind the counter. Ok, no biggie, it was moving reasonably enough. When I was the very next person in line I heard a little bell. Then, no joke, the man puts his 'window closed' sign up and leaves, presumably for his break. Gotta love unions......

So the line is still all the way across the way and now there is NOBODY behind the counter. In fact we had to wait at least 5 more minutes before another postal worker even came up to the counter. Finally someone came and as luck would have it, it was the same woman who huffed at me the day earlier. I purchased my 6 books of stamps and headed out of there.

Oy.

No comments: